Let us find our place: on our knees in awe, wonderment and humility.
– You can see less than 1% of the electromagnetic spectrum and hear less than 1% of the acoustic spectrum.
– As you read this, you are traveling at 220 km/sec across the galaxy.
– 90% of the cells in your body carry their own microbial DNA and are not “you.”
– The atoms in your body are 99.9999999999999999% empty space and none of them are the ones you were born with, but they all originated in the belly of a star.
– Human beings have 46 chromosomes, 2 less than the common potato.
– The existence of the rainbow depends on the conical photoreceptors in your eyes; to animals without cones, the rainbow does not exist.
So you don’t just look at a rainbow, you create it.
This is pretty amazing, especially considering that all the beautiful colors you see represent less than 1% of the electromagnetic spectrum.
Source: NASA Lunar Science Institute
Image: Earth, Jupiter and Venus, seen from Mars
Thanks to: love is a place
I posted this to Facebook a year ago. It’s been circulating again recently and since many readers of this blog don’t ‘do’ Fb I decided to share it here as well. It’s a keeper.
Where, in this whirling mix of cosmic biomaterial and activity can a solid, changeless self be found? If such an entity can’t be found, what KNOWS this?